I am also very active in the local art center, where I work with young people and older people in... more »
- Winnsboro, Te, U.S.
- member since September 6, 2007
Millerwrites’s last login was Monday, September 24, 2012.
Because you are a Shelfari friend, I thought I'd pass on to you a quiz I'm using to promote my new book, the 2nd in the HowToDoItFrugally Series of books for writers after the award-winning The Frugal Book Promoter.
The Frugal Editor is a must for writers and includes lots of good stuff important for any writer to know. It is, ta da! The Frugal Editor: Put Your Best Book Forward to Avoid Humiliation and Ensure Success.
Check Your Sell-Your-Book Expertise with Carolyn's Quiz
Every writer should know the answer to these or know how to find out :
1. What is the rule posted by most agents and publishers I can break in order to sell my book faster?
2. How can a style sheet help me edit my book or work better with my editor?
3. Why do I need to know about indexing?
4. How can I corral Word's Spell Checker to help rather than hinder my editing process?
5. Why is editing important to getting a publisher or an agent when my publisher's editor will help me with that anyway?
6. Why should I rarely send out a cover letter rather than a query letter?
7. Why should I avoid using italics for internal dialogue? How do you avoid using them for internal dialogue?
8. What perfectly natural and grammar-perfect thing should I avoid telling an agent?
9. How can I turn adverbs that slow my narrative into metaphors?
10. How can I purge my copy of passive constructions using a computer?
11. How can code words in my document help avoid humiliation?
12. How do I avoid superfluous quotation marks that annoy agents and editors?
If you don't know the answers to most every one of these 12 questions without peeking you are sure to benefit from the newly released
The Frugal Editor: Put Your Best Book Forward to Avoid Humiliation and Ensure Success
available now on Amazon, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0978515870/
It's already rocketed to Amazon's Top Ten List in its category!
It should be sitting on your shelf right next to the award-winning* first in the HowToDoItFrugally Series of books for writers,
The Frugal Book Promoter: How To Do What Your Publisher Won't
by UCLA Extension Writers' Program Instructor Carolyn Howard-Johnson
*Winner of USA Book News Best Professional Book 2004
*Winner of Book Publicists of Southern California's Irwin Award
It is good to hear from you again. I'm glad you and your husband are doing well. I'm afraid i've quit writing, but I'm still creating with fiber arts. I've signed up here under Zaijovan. Only just started adding books so I don't think we will see anything in common yet. I look foward to looking at your shelf as you build it.
Thank you for inviting me! My dream has always been a little farm, too. Good for you. You might enjoy "This Is the Place." The place refers to a little farm (as it happens the real one I loved in my childhood). It is fictionalized but based on my life and that of my grandmother. How I loved that farm--the little handmade house (of adobe bricks) is even pictured on the front of the book.
Happy reading and happy farming!