It's been some time since we've had an update and I wanted to make sure I covered all the recent fixes that have been made.
1) Book Search Broken - Book search was intermittently broken with the results stating "Your search did not return any results" for books that were in our catalog. This has been resolved.
2) Missing Covers - Related to the book search issue, book covers were intermittently missing and showing broken icons or blue covers. Because search was not working consistently, the covers that corresponded with books that weren't searchable would go "missing". Fixing the book search issue meant that the covers associated with books that went missing were visible.
3) Book Extras - Shelfari's community editable facts about books (like characters, locations, series, etc...), called Book Extras, are available on Kindle devices, apps and Kindle detail pages on Amazon.com. We experienced a bug where changes made to Book Extras on Shelfari were not updating on Kindle/Amazon for days or weeks. We have fixed this so that changes are updated almost immediately.
4) Book Export - Exporting your bookshelf list was taking several hours for members with larger bookshelves. We've improved the export tool so it takes considerably less time to export even with a large shelf.
5) Reading List Import - LinkedIn recently deprecated their applications feature, which included an Amazon Reading List application that the Shelfari team maintained. All the readers using the Reading List app were unable to access their book history (reading status & reviews) and we have made it possible for them to import that information on Shelfari. More info: http://www.shelfari.com/help/question117
Thanks for your patience as we've been working to resolve some of the long-standing issues. We're looking forward to announcing more updates soon!
Amanda & the Shelfari team
Amanda started this discussion 4 months ago. ( permalink )