*****May Contain Spoilers*********
1. Talk about the genre of erotica fiction and the straightforward and graphic
descriptions of sex in this book. What effect did the writing style and playful
tone of the book have on these scenes?
2. Discuss the feelings that surfaced as your read about submissive/dominant
relationships. Did it pique your curiosity? Did anything shock or offend you?
3. The book is marketed as "steamy erotica for suburban housewives". Is this
accurate? Do you think reading about intense sexual encounters enhances the
sexual experience? Of the many sex scenes discuss your favorite or least
4. Discuss the meaning and significance of the book's title. What do you think
accounts for the overwhelming popularity of this book?
5. For the majority of people, the sex described pushes the limits of normal.
With this in mind, were you able to relate to the human condition underlying the
experiences? For example, did you understand the desire for this kind of
experience and why each character was drawn to this?
6. Anastasia was surprised when she enjoyed and wanted more of the kinky sex.
Discuss the implications of this? Do you think guilt or her lack of experience
played into these feelings?
7. Did you feel a strong connection to either Christian or Anastasia? Did you
find yourself siding with one more than the other?
8. What was your initial impression of Christian? As more of his background and
personality was revealed, did your opinion of him change? Did his actions in any
way surprise you? What is your favorite Christian phrase?
9. The author does an excellent job of weaving family drama into the story. For
example, Anastasia has a strong bond with her stepfather and Christian is
strongly attached to Mia and his parents. How important do you think this is to
the story in general? How important were these bonds to Anastasia and
Christian's ability to form relationships?
10. Discuss the relationship Anastasia had with her mother? Did her mother offer
enough of what is considered traditional motherly support? Was her influence on
Anastasia more positive than negative? How do you think her mother felt about
Anastasia's relationship with Ray? Do you think either Anastasia or her mother
had any regrets about the way things turned out?
11. There was a wonderful cast of supporting characters in this book. Who was
your favorite and why.
12. What actor do you see playing the role of Christian and Ana?
Questions courtesy of Princeton Book Review.