For some reason hard to understand, the historically minded public has had to wait 85 years since the death of a president for an adequate biography. This gap has now been filled with Dr. Rayback's authoritative work on Millard Fillmore. It is no eulogy, rather it is honest and unprejudiced,... read more
1. "Of thee has an ambition for distinction . . ."
2. The Trojan Horse
4. A New Departure
5. Antimason into Whig
6. Nascent Rebellion
7. At the Altar of Mammon
8. Nativism and Defeat
9. The Comptrollership: Marking Time
10. The Road Back to Washington
11. "We could put up a cow . . ."
12. Toward the Compromise of 1850
13. President Fillmore Wrecks the Omnibus
14. Warfare: The Bolt of the "Silver Greys"
15. The Great Silence
16. The Lure of the East
17. Fillmore Obstructs Manifest Destiny
18. Self-Sacrifice: "The Hopes of Good Men"
19. Webster and the Baltimore Convention
20. Retirement to Grief
21. National Whigs Find a Host
22. Candidate of the Know-Nothings
24. First Citizen of Buffalo
We’re hiding the movie connections, books that influenced this book, books influenced by this book, books that cite this book and books cited by this book sections. If you would like to add content to them, you must first make them visible.