Churches and individual Christians typically have faulty assumptions about the causes of poverty, resulting in the use of strategies that do considerable harm to poor people and themselves. When Helping Hurts provides foundational concepts, clearly articulated general principles and... read more
PART 1: Foundational Concepts for Helping Without Hurting
1. Why Did Jesus Come to Earth?
2. What's the Problem
3. Are We There Yet?
PART 2: General Principles for Helping Without Hurting
4. Not All Poverty Is Created Equal
5. Give Me Your Tired, Your Poor, and Their Assets
6. McDevelopment: Over 2.5 Billion People Not Served
PART 3: Practical Strategies for Helping Without Hurting
7. Doing Short-Term Missions Without Doing Long-Term Harm
8. Yes, in Your Backyard
9. And to the Ends of the Earth
PART 4: Getting Started on Helping Without Hurting
10. Excuse Me, Can You Spare Some Change?
11. On Your Mark, Get Set, Go!
A Final Word: The Most Important Step
Appendix: The Community Organizing Process in North America
We’re hiding the errata, movie connections, books that influenced this book, books influenced by this book, books that cite this book and books cited by this book sections. If you would like to add content to them, you must first make them visible.