As an engaging and persuasive survey of American public life from 1816 to 1848, Harry L. Watson's Liberty and Power remains a landmark achievement. Now updated to address twenty-five years of new scholarship, the book brilliantly interprets the exciting political landscape that was the age... read more
1. The Great Body of the People
2. Republican Theory and Practice
3. A Corrupt Bargain
4. "Our Federal Union. It Must Be Preserved"
5. Killing the Monster
6. National Parties and Local Politics
7. Van Buren, Harrison, and Tyler
8. The Second American Party System
Essay on Sources
We’re hiding the errata, movie connections, books that influenced this book, books influenced by this book, books that cite this book and books cited by this book sections. If you would like to add content to them, you must first make them visible.