While French schoolteachers of the late nineteenth century have been widely celebrated for converting 'peasants into Frenchmen', their interwar counterparts have enjoyed little such acclaim. Both contemporary critics and subsequent scholars have condemned French pacifist schoolteachers of the... read more
1. 'Raise Their Hearts to the Fatherland' - Patriotism, pacifism, and primary school education during the First World War
2. 'Little French Children, Do Not Forget!' - Immediate postwar lessons and French collective memory of the Great War
3. 'There are Only False Victories and Great Miseries' - Socialist internationalism, feminist pacifism, and the forging of a new ideological consensus
4. 'War is Atrocious for All Fatherlands' - Pacifist scholastic narratives of the Great War
5. 'To Love France is to Love All Humanity' - Patriotic education between the wars
6. 'We Do Not Want War!' - Schoolteachers confront fascism and international conflict, 1933 to 1940
We’re hiding the errata, movie connections, books that influenced this book, books influenced by this book, books that cite this book and books cited by this book sections. If you would like to add content to them, you must first make them visible.