In this influential work about the staggering divide between children and the outdoors, child advocacy expert Richard Louv directly links the lack of nature in the lives of today’s wired generation—he calls it nature-deficit—to some of the most disturbing childhood trends, such as the rises in... read more
Last Child in the Woods: Saving Our Children From Nature-Deficit Disorder is a 2005 book by author Richard Louv that documents decreased exposure of children to nature in American society and how this "nature-deficit disorder" harms children and society. The book examines research and... read more (warning: may contain spoilers)
Last Child in the Woods: Saving Our Children From Nature-Deficit Disorder is a 2005 book by author Richard Louv that documents decreased exposure of children to nature in American society and how this "nature-deficit disorder" harms children and society. The book examines research and concludes that direct exposure to nature is essential for healthy childhood development and for the physical and emotional health of children and adults. The author also suggests solutions to the problems he describes. A revised and expanded edition was published in 2008.
Part I: The New Relationship between Children and Nature
1. Gifts of Nature
2.The Third Frontier
3. The Criminalization of Natural Play
Part II: Why the Young (And the Rest of Us) Need Nature
4. Climbing the Tree of Health
5. A Life of the Senses: Nature vs. the Know-It-All State of Mind
6. The "Eighth Intelligence"
7. The Genius of Childhood: How Nature Nurtures Creativity
8. Nature-Deficit Disorder and the Restorative Environment
Part III: The Best of Intentions: Why Johnnie and Jeannie Don't Play Outside Anymore
9. Time and Fear
10. The Bogeyman Syndrome Redux
11. Don't Know Much About Natural History: Education as a Barrier to Nature
12. Where Will Future Stewards of Nature Come From?
Part IV: The Nature-Child Reunion
13. Bringing Nature Home
14. Scared Smart: Facing the Bogeyman
15. Telling Turtle Tales: Using Nature as a Moral Teacher
Part V: The Jungle Blackboard
16. Natural School Reform
17. Camp Revival
Part VI: Wonder Land: Opening the Fourth Frontier
18. The Education of Judge Thatcher: Decriminalizing Natural Play
19. Cities Gone Wild
20. Where the Wild Things Will Be: A New Back-to-the-Land Movement
Part VII: To Be Amazed
21. The Spiritual Necessity of Nature for the Young
22. Fire and Fermentation: Building a Movement
23. While it Lasts
A Field Guide to "Last Child in the Woods"
We’re hiding the errata, movie connections, books that influenced this book, books influenced by this book, books that cite this book and books cited by this book sections. If you would like to add content to them, you must first make them visible.