The remarkable true story of the hoax that bewildered Nineteenth-Century New York and created tabloid journalism. In the sweltering summer of 1835, New York City, still reeling from the effects of a cholera epidemic, was coaxed into a mood approaching mass hysteria by a series of articles... read more
Prologue: The Man on the Moon
Part One: THE SUN
1. Benjamin Day's Whistling Boy
2. The News of the City
3. Bearer of the Falcon Crest
4. The Atrocious Impositions of Matthias
5. "The Evil Spirit of the Times"
6. The Prince of Ivy Island
7. Strange Attractions
Part Two: THE MOON
8. Celestial Discoveries
9. A Passage to the Moon
10. "If This Account Is True, It Is Most Enormously Wonderful"
11. The Picturesque Beauty of the Moon
12. "The Astronomical Hoax Explained"
14. Monck Mason's Flying Machine
15. "Joice Heth Is Not Dead"
16. The Best Self-Hoaxed Man in New York
Epilogue: The Tyranny Shall Be No Longer
We’re hiding the errata, movie connections, books that influenced this book, books influenced by this book, books that cite this book and books cited by this book sections. If you would like to add content to them, you must first make them visible.