Libeary Mery edited the characters of A Northern Light Friday, October 28, 2011.
see Libeary Mery’s edits | report abuse
- Edited the description of Mattie Gokey: Sixteen-year-old girl, desperate for money gets a job at the Glenmore hotel.
shehas big dreams of being a writer and going to college.
- Edited the description of Pa: Former logger who stayed to work the farm after his wife
died.Doesn'twant Mattie to go to NY or college. He's also very strict.
- Edited the description of Tommy Hubbard: Neighbor boy, one of 7 children. Tommy is 12 years old, and the son of Emmie Hubbard. They are poor folk who can't afford to pay their taxes and go to neighbor's houses for food. (Tommy and sometimes his sister do
this).BecauseTommy goes to Mattie's house so often, she thinks of him like a brother.
- Edited the description of Emmie Hubbard: Tommy's mother. A woman who suffers from drink, mental illness, debt and listlessness. She paints pretty pictures on
occationto supplement the income, one of which she gave to Mattie as a birthday present as that was all they had to give. A destitute woman who did as she needed to survive.
- Edited the description of Hubbard Children: Susie, Billy,
Myrton,Claraand Lucius. (To name a few). They are the sons and daughters of Emmie Hubbard.
- Edited the description of Weaver's Mamma: Widow. Weaver's mamma moved herself up from Mississippi after Weaver's father was killed right in front of them by three white men for no other reason than not moving off the sidewalk when they passed. She took in washing, raised chickens and "fried up 4 or 5 every evening, and biscuits and pies, too and took it all down to eagle bay railroad station the next day in her cart to meet the trains." She saves up
eveypenny for Weaver's college.
- Edited the description of Weaver Smith:
Mattiesbest friend. Mattie and Weaver have "word" duels, studied for the Board of Regents exam together and took the test together. Weaver has a scholarship to Columbia University in NYC that his mother saved every penny she had to get him there. "Weaver was the only black boy in Eagle Bay.....Maybe in all the North Woods. I had never seen another." "He was the first freeborn boy in his family. His grandparents were slaves, and even his parents were born slaves, though Mr. Lincoln freed them when they were tiny children." Weaver is very intellegentand wants Mattie to go to NYC too...to college.
- Edited a character:
MrsWilcox: Teacher --- and so very much more, details are revealed later in the book