LibraryCin edited the glossary entries of Geisha Tuesday, March 12, 2013.
see LibraryCin’s edits | report abuse
- reordered the glossary entries.
- 1 : geisha: artist
- 2 : geiko: woman of art
- 3 : maiko: woman of dance.
- 4 : atotori: one who comes after or successor. An heir to the house.
- 5 : genkan: entrance vestibule
- 6 : goshugi: cash tips
- 7 : hadajuban: a loose blouse-like garment that follows the lines of a kimono
- 8 : hanadai: the units of time for which a geiko's fee is calculated; literally "flower charges"
- 9 : hanamichi: the elevated platform that runs from the rear of the theater to the stage
- 10 : Hatsugama: first tea ceremony of the year
- 11 : hokori o motsu: "Hold on to your pride."
- 12 : jikata: The second kind of geisha who is trained to be an accompanist by signing and playing the shamisen.
- 13 : jiuta: a classical form of Japanese dancing and singing
- 14 : kago: the traditional handbag carried by many geisha
- 15 : kanoko: red silk bands worn in a maiko's first hairstyle
- 16 : kariyukai: Special districts dedicated to the enjoyment of aestheitc pleasure. This is where geisha live and work. "The flower and willow world".
- 17 : kenban: financial affairs office
- 18 : koto: Japanese lute
- 19 : minarai: apprentice maiko
- 20 : misedashi: the formal debut of a minarai, literally means "open for business"
- 21 : ochaya: teahouses/banquet facilities
- 22 : oiran: courtesan
- 23 : okiya: lodging house/geisha house. Where maiko and geiko start off their careers, living and training there.
- 24 : otosan: father
- 25 : tachikata: The kind of geisha who is a main performer. She is trained to dance and play an instrument other than the shamisen.