The first book to appear in the illustrious Oxford History of the United States, this critically acclaimed volume--a finalist for the Pulitzer Prize--offers an unsurpassed history of the Revolutionary War and the birth of the American republic. Beginning with the French and Indian War... read more
Prologue: The Sustaining Truths
1. The Obstructed Giant
2. The Children of the Twice-Born
3. Beginnings: From the Top Down
4. The Stamp Act Crisis
6. Selden's Penny
7. Chance and Charles Townshend
8. Boston Take the Lead
9. The "Bastards of England"
13. "Half a War"
15. The War of Posts
16. The War of Maneuver
17. The Revolution Becomes a European War
18. The War in the South
19. The "Fugitive War"
20. Inside the Campaigns
21. Outside the Campaigns
22. Yorktown and Paris
23. The Constitutional Movement
24. The Children of the Twice-Born in the 1780s
25. The Constitutional Convention
26. Ratification: An End and a Beginning
We’re hiding the errata, movie connections, books that influenced this book, books influenced by this book, books that cite this book and books cited by this book sections. If you would like to add content to them, you must first make them visible.