Is there anything new to say about Thomas Jefferson and slavery? The answer is a resounding yes. Master of the Mountain , Henry Wiencek’s eloquent, persuasive book—based on new information coming from archaeological work at Monticello and on hitherto overlooked or disregarded evidence in... read more
Introduction: "This Steep, Savage Hill"
1. "Let There Be Justice"
2. Pursued by the Black Horse
3. "We Lived Under A Hidden Law"
4. "The Hammer or the Anvil"
5. The Bancroft Paradox
6. "To Have Good and Human Heart"
7. What the Blacksmith Saw
8. What the Colonel Saw
9. A Mother's Fears
10. "I Will Answer for Your Safety . . . Banish All Fear"
11. "To Serve You Faithful"
12. The Double Aspect
13. America's Casandra
14. The Man in the Iron Mask
15. "I Only Am Escaped Alone to Tell Thee"
16. "The Effect on Them Was Electrical"
17. "Utopia in Full Reality"
18. Jefferson Anew
We’re hiding the errata, movie connections, books that influenced this book, books influenced by this book, books that cite this book and books cited by this book sections. If you would like to add content to them, you must first make them visible.