John W edited the memorable quotes of Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore Monday, April 1, 2013.
see John W’s edits | report abuse
- Edited a quotation: “Inside: imagine the shape and volume of a normal bookstore turned up on its side. This place was absurdly narrow and dizzyingly tall, and the shelves went all the way up -- three stories of books. I craned my neck back (why do bookstores always force you to do uncomfortable things with your neck?) and the shelves faded smoothly into the shadows in a way that suggested they might just go on forever.”
- Edited a quotation: “The shelves were packed close together, and it felt like I was standing at the border of a forest -- not a friendly California forest, either, but an old Transylvanian forest, a forest full of wolves and witches, and dagger-wielding bandits all waiting just beyond moonlight's reach.”
- Edited a quotation: “His inventory is eclectic; there's no evidence of pattern or purpose other than, I suppose, his own personal taste. So, no teenage wizards or vampire police here. That's a shame, because this is exactly the kind of store that makes you want to buy a book about a teenage wizard. This is the kind of store that makes you want to be a teenage wizard.”
- Edited a quotation: “Penumbra's customers are, in fact, exactly the kind of people you'd see in coffee shops, working through one-sided chess problems or solving Saturday crosswords with blue ballpoints pressed perilously hard into the newsprint.”
- Edited a quotation: “This is an interesting girl. Kat's utter directness suggests home-schooling, yet she is also completely charming.”
- Edited a quotation: “If fidgets were Wikipedia edits, I would have completely revamped the entry on guilt by now, and translated it into five new languages.”
- Edited a quotation: “If I made five million dollars selling books, I'd want people to carry me around in a palanquin constructed from first editions of The Dragon-Song Chronicles.”
- Added a quotation: “”
- disabled viewing of Kindle Popular Highlights for this book.