In the waning years of the 19th century, Bessie Daniels grows up in the small town of Hot Springs in western North Carolina. Secure in the love of her father, resistant to her mother’s desire that she be a proper Southern belle, Bessie’s determined to forge her own way in life. Or, as her... read more
1. Fall 1895 - A whistling woman and a crowing hen never come to a very good end.
2. Fall 1895 - She's enough to make a preacher cuss.
3. Spring 1896 - Chugged full.
4. Fall 1896 - Be like the old lady who fell out of the wagon.
5. Fall 1897 - She looks like she was inside the outhouse when the lightning struck.
6. Fall 1897 - Trying fortunes.
7. Fall 1897 - That girl's just naturally horizontal.
8. Spring 1899 - That boy's more slippery than snot on a glass doorknob.
9. Spring 1899 - Mad enough to spit in a wildcat's eye.
10. Spring 1899 - He looks like something the dog's been keeping under the porch.
11. Spring 1899 - Like two peas in a pod.
12. Late Spring 1899 - In high cotton.
13. Fall 1899 - The trail where they cried.
14. Late Fall 1899 - Barking up the wrong tree.
15. Late Fall 1899 - She's resting at peace in the marble orchard.
16. Winter 1899 - Summer 1900 - Scared as a sinner in a cyclone.
17. Summer 1900 - He couldn't pour water out of a boot with a hole in the toe and directions on the heel.
18. Summer 1900 - He's so windy he could blow up an onion sack.
19. Fall 1900 - Shucking corn.
20. Fall 1900 - He's so useless if he had a third hand he'd need another pocket to put it in.
21. Winter 1900 - Breaking up Christmas.
22. Winter 1901 - A sight for sore eyes.
We’re hiding the errata, movie connections, books that influenced this book, books influenced by this book, books that cite this book and books cited by this book sections. If you would like to add content to them, you must first make them visible.