Ruskin's God is the first full-length study of the impact that John Ruskin's religion had on his many and varied writings. Part I, "The Author of Modern Painters," covers the first half of his career, when he was an Evangelical Christian and aimed to teach people how to see paintings,... read more
List of illustrations
1. Introduction: 'To enlighten a people by your wisdom': the divine commission
Part I. The author of Modern Painters:
2. 'The Shechinah of the Blue': in God's temple
3. 'The Peace of God' and a Christian theory of art
4. 'The Book-Temple': a Protestant beholder of St Mark's
5. 'True sacred art' and Christ the great high priest
6. 'Solomon's Christian royalty': a rite of passage in Turin
Part II. Victorian Solomon:
7. Solomon's 'maxims concerning wealth'
8. Science, myth and a creative wisdom
9. St George, St Francis, and the rule of love and wisdom
10. Fragments of Christendom in Venice and Amiens
11. The 'visible heaven' and apocalyptic wisdom
We’re hiding the errata, movie connections, books that influenced this book, books influenced by this book, books that cite this book and books cited by this book sections. If you would like to add content to them, you must first make them visible.