Award-winning book on reading and spelling education that will transform how you think about English!
* Do you know a student who is good at math or science but struggles with reading or spelling?
* Have you ever abandoned a word while writing because spell check didn't... read more
“… we all have unanswered questions and frustrations with English. The difference between the literate and the illiterate is that the literate blame the problems on English, but the illiterate blame themselves.”
“Why would we abandon our young students to solve a master puzzle like English on their own?”
“Most programs teach that <s> has one sound /s/...When incomplete phonics is taught, students who think more logically and literally decode <is> and <his> as /is/ and /his/ rather than /iz/ and /hiz/...It is important to understand that these students are not wrong; they are doing exactly what they were told to do... Logical/literal students are our future engineers, mathematicians and scientists. …they quickly discover that most of the S’s do not say /s/. In fact, most of the letters do not sound anything like they were told. This short-circuits their logical minds.”
“At a time in history when our economy relies on advancements in science and engineering, we cannot afford to impair these gifted citizens by not teaching them English in a manner that respects how their minds work.”
“My logically and literally minded students consistently applied the only silent final E rule I taught them – “The vowel say its name because of the E” – until they proved to themselves and to me that I was wrong. Then they lost interest in reading.”
1. The Problem of English
2. The Literacy Crisis
3. Phonograms: The Building Blocks of Words
4. Consonants, Vowels, and Syllables: What They Are and Why They Matter
5. Foundational Consonant Rules
6. Foundational Vowel Rules
7. They Mystery of Silent Final E's Solved!
8. Words Ending in One Vowel and One Consonant
9. Adding Suffixes to Single Vowel Y Words
10 Adding Suffixes to Any Word
11. The Power of the Latin Spellings of /sh/
12. Decoding Past Tense Verbs
13. Forming Plural Nouns and Singular Verbs
14. Clearing Confusion about al- and -ful
15. The Final Spelling Rules
16. Overcoming Challenges: Creating an Auditory Picture
17. Efficient Spelling and Vocabulary Development
18. Putting it All Together
Appendix A: Spelling Rules
Appendix B: Basic Phonograms
Appendix C: More about the Basic Phonograms
Appendix D: Sound to Spelling Reference Chart
Appendix E: Advanced Phonograms
Appendix F: Adding a Suffix to Any Word
Appendix G: Irregular Verbs
Appendix H: Irregular Plurals
Appendix I: Common Prefixes and Suffixes
Put an end to torture reading!This is book is for parents and teachers who want to learn answers their students' questions about reading and spelling. In an easy-to-read style you will learn why there is a silent final E in the word "have," why so many children misread simple words like "is" and "was" and other simple answers to ease your child's frustration.
We’re hiding the errata, movie connections, books that influenced this book, books influenced by this book, books that cite this book and books cited by this book sections. If you would like to add content to them, you must first make them visible.