A place known as the Quartern. A loose confederation of four distinct quarters (pebble plains, sand dunes, stony drylands and salt plains). In the past, ruled by a Cloudmaster with limited powers, each quarter largely independent except for water concerns and matters involving trade routes, for which they are centrally taxed.
- Scarper Quarter: The most prosperous of the Quartern's four quarters. Consists of five stepped cities of the Escarpment, two port cities and one northern city on the other side of the Warthago Range.
- Red Quarter: That section of the Quartern consisting of lines of red sand dunes, peopled by Reduners.
- White Quarter: The section of the Quartern closest to Khromatis. Peopled by the Alabasters. Produces salt, and related mineral products. Samphire is the only one plant that grows well. Native pedes are white in color.
- Gibber Quarter: One of the four quarters of the Quartern. Gibber folk live mainly in settles in the drywashes, eking out a living from bab-palm cultivation and fossicking.
- Qanatend: The Scarpen city closest to the Red Quarter, taken and held by the Reduners.
- Wash Drybone Settle: Gibber village where Shale Flint was born.
- Breccia City: Scarpen city, traditional seat of the Cloudmaster.
- Samphire: The only city in the White Quarter
- Scarcleft: The Scarpen city ruled by Highlord Taquar Sardonyx untul he was deposed.