“Bit uneven, but an interesting setup. Would like to see the universe expanded beyond the US to see the impact on the wider world.”Fonty wrote this review Monday, July 1, 2013. ( reply | permalink ) Was this review helpful? Yes | No
“It was really different,,it had different authors writing about the same thing, pretty cool...”Lise C wrote this review Monday, June 3, 2013. ( reply | permalink ) Was this review helpful? Yes | No
“Wild Cards 1 is the first book in the Wild Cards shared universe. It's not a full novel but a collection of interconnected stories by a variety of authors. The first story sets up the world. An alien virus is released above New York, instantly killing 90% of those effected. Of the remaining 10% most are hideously transformed into "Jokers", the remaining 1% are given powers and turned into "Aces". The stories vary in time and place, from the 40's through the 80's and in theme, from detective to espionage, to more standard superhero.
I enjoyed the first book in the series and will probably follow through. It definetly has some trademarks I expect from Martin, even though the stories are by different authors. It is a realistic take on the material and has it's share of sadness and sorrow, along with humor and adult themes. ”
“A mixed bag, as you might expect from a shared world anthology. Enough of the writers and characters were interesting enough that I would consider buying future volumes, but probably only at reduced prices.”tmilktoast wrote this review Thursday, December 22, 2011. ( reply | permalink ) Was this review helpful? Yes | No